MBOX is a popular mailbox storage file that is considered a flexible file format and that can be accessed by various email applications. MBOX file format can only help users in saving email messages.
More than 20 email clients like Eudora, SeaMonkey, Thunderbird, Apple Mail, etc make use of MBOX format to store mailbox data.
Compared to MS Outlook, it also offers the ability to save all emails, journals, contacts, calendars, tasks, etc.
Organizations are prone to prospects. The MBOX users are preparing to access the contents of the MBOX file in MS Outlook.
Microsoft Outlook saves its data in the PST file format ( short for Personal Storage Table ). PST is the most organized file format that stores all Outlook mailbox data.
It supports various advanced features and updates that are a very important part of any organization. Most users nowadays prefer Outlook over MBOX.
MS Outlook is much more secure than MBOX as it offers its users a password security feature to keep their emails safe from spammers and hackers.
Here are the methods to open MBOX file in Outlook. Now first discuss with the manual method. Follow the given steps: –
First, enable the IMAP option for the email account after doing the following:
- Log into the GMAIL account.
- Click the gear icon and on the Gmail page open the Gmail setting and select “Forwarding and POP / IMAP option”.
- Activate the IMAP option.
- Configure the IMAP account and select the Save changes option.
Note : – To use the steps of the manual methods, you need to install Thunderbird and Outlook on your local computer or laptop.
- Now run Mozilla Thunderbird on your Windows system.
- The dialog box for setting up the e-mail account opens. You will need to input the required information and click “Next”.
- Select the IMAP check box and choose the manual configuration process.
- Provide all required information for
- Incoming : imap.gmail.com / port : Either 993 (SSL) or 143 (very rarely 580)
- Outgoing : smtp.gmail.com / port : Either 25 (SSL) or 465 (very rarely 2525)
- Click the button to test again.
- After you have entered the exact information, the tasks will end. Now select “Create a new account”.
- Next, check your Thunderbird Gmail account after opening an email message.
- Now simply drag and drop the file into the Gmail inbox to open MBOX file in Outlook.
Next, configure and open MBOX file in Outlook
Follow the steps below to configure Outlook mail for a Gmail account
- Go to the file menu >> add an account.
- In the dialog box, select to manually configure server settings or additional server types.
- Select the Internet E-mail option and click the “Next” button. Fill in the required information.
- Select the IMAP option for the IMAP email account as the account type.
- Now enter “ gmail . com ”and for the outgoing server“ smtp . gmail . com ”a. Also click on “More Settings Options”.
- On the outgoing mail server, select my outgoing mail server (SMTP) that requires authentication and use the same setting. Select the My incoming e-mail server option and enter port number 993 under Incoming e-mail server port.
- Then select that server that requires an encrypted connection option to set the type of encryption for an IMAP email account to SSC.
- Enter the value 587 in the outgoing server port. Set the type of encryption to TLS and then click the “Ok” button and exit the program.
- Select the Test account setting option. This option is used to check the account settings. Now the users will receive the message “Your account setting is correct”. Click the Next button”.
Here the users get all their data in Outlook with the profile configured by Gmail.
On the other hand, the manual method is rather tedious, risky and difficult to use. Because the manual method requires strong support with a high level of technical expertise.
This method is considered to be very time consuming. One cannot completely trust the manual method of opening MBOX in Outlook as there is a risk that the data will be lost at the time of converting MBOX to Outlook.
Sometimes it happens that the process fails due to the cause of human error as it is very difficult for the users to keep all the steps in mind and apply them properly.
Third-party Tool to Open multiple MBOX files in Outlook
Hence, this article provides a simplified automated solution for opening MBOX in Outlook, known as the “MBOX to PST Converter” referred to as.
With this tool, users can open MBOX in Outlook within minutes. This MBOX Converter is a professional tool that can be used to open and read MBOX mailboxes to many other formats like MSG, EML etc.
This software securely manages the data during and after the import. There is no limit to the use of MBOX files of any size. This converter also allows users to work with all versions of Outlook.
The tool provides a free demo version of the MBOX converter so that you can simply import the tool during the first test and save the first 25 elements / folders. Follow the steps below to run the software:
- Install and open MBOX to Outlook
- Click the File Then select the Add option.
- Select the option to either add a folder or add an MBOX file.
Note : – You can add multiple MBOX files. Either after selecting the folder from the folder list.
- Now you can easily view all the information contained in the selected MBOX file / folder and then click Outlook PST on the ribbon.
- Select the export type Export to PST and to search for the target storage location. Then users have a filter option that allows them to split the resulting PST into small PST files or use other filter criteria to filter by Subject, From, To, etc. Click on “Export”.
- The process is completed successfully here.
From the discussion above, it can be seen that a tedious, unprofessional manual method is not a suitable option to open MBOX file in Outlook as there is a high chance of data loss.
By replacing this method, the article recommends a trustworthy solution that can easily open and read MBOX files in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 & 2003.