Summary: This article shows manual methods to open Thunderbird inbox file in Outlook. It also applies to reading other mailbox emails in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, 2003.
Thunderbird, developed by Mozilla, was once the most popular and widely used email application. However, now times have changed, and users are turning to Outlook for various reasons.
In this article, we will discuss:
- Reasons for opening Thunderbird in Outlook
- How to manually open Thunderbird mail in Outlook?
- Read Thunderbird in Outlook with the help of a third-party tool
- Why use a third party Thunderbird converter?
- 1 The reason why users open Thunderbird inbox file in Outlook
- 1.1 Why do users prefer Microsoft Outlook?
- 1.2 How to manually open Thunderbird Mail in Outlook?
- 1.3 Why use a third party Thunderbird converter?
The reason why users open Thunderbird inbox file in Outlook
Why do users dislike Mozilla Thunderbird?
- Poor data security
- RSS feeds are not fully integrated
- You cannot manage tasks
- Calendar is missing
- You cannot create rules
Why do users prefer Microsoft Outlook?
- Easy to use
- The perfect RSS feed system
- Excellent calendar function for daily work management
- You can take notes
- Supports IMAP and POP
- Good security
- Very good SPAM filtering
As you can see, Outlook has many advantages over Thunderbird. This is why users are more interested in using it than any other email client. Let’s take a look at how to open Thunderbird in Outlook.
How to manually open Thunderbird Mail in Outlook?
You can access Thunderbird inbox file data in Outlook via several manual methods. Let’s take a look at these methods one at a time.
1-Use the IMAP function in Thunderbird, then use it in Outlook
2-Use the EML function
1 – Use the IMAP function in Thunderbird, then use it in Outlook
IMAP is an Internet mail access protocol that allows you to synchronize e-mail accounts and e-mail clients. You can use this feature quickly in just a few steps.
Complete the following steps to use the IMAP function:
Note: You will need a Gmail account, an Outlook account, and a Thunderbird account to see how this method works.
- First, launch Thunderbird and set up your Gmail account with IMAP.
- After the account is configured, create a new folder in the Gmail account in the Thunderbird application.
- Now, select all the emails you want to open in Outlook and move them to a new folder.
- After moving all emails to the new folder, start Outlook 2016/2013.
- Now, configure your Gmail account here as done in Thunderbird.
- Select the email you need to access using Outlook and drag it to a folder in Outlook.
- There it is. Opening Thunderbird inbox in Outlook is complete.
Note: The above process looks simple, but is only suitable for skilled personnel. If you are not a technician, it is advisable to jump to the last method, which uses the professional tool for accurate results.
Use the EML Files to Read Tbird Emails
EML is a file format that almost all email clients including Outlook 2019, 2016 and 2013 can access. And, the best thing is that Thunderbird lets you save selected emails as eml files, which can then be imported into Outlook later.
Let’s take a look at how to open Thunderbird inbox file in Outlook using this method.
- Start Thunderbird.
- Select the emails you want to access in Outlook.
- Right-click and Save as an EML file on your computer.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 to save all the e-mails that you want to access in Microsoft Outlook.
- After saving all EML files, start Outlook.
- Use drag and drop function to place the EML files in the Outlook mailbox folder.
There it is. Your email is now in Outlook and you can use it as needed. Email attributes have a tendency to change.
Note: The above process is very easy and fast, but only if you need to open a few selected emails. However, if you wish to read Thunderbird mailbox in Outlook with no limit on the number of emails, please skip over to the next method shared below.
Read Thunderbird in Outlook with the help of a third-party tool
MBOX is a no-extension Thunderbird file which is used to store all your email and other mailbox data. Apart from that, PST is an Outlook data file which can store all your emails, contacts, etc.
Therefore, once the MBOX file is converted into a PST file, you can import the PST file in Outlook and access all your email, contacts and other important data without any delay.
You can find the professional tool in the Thunderbird to Outlook guide
Let’s see how to do this in a few simple steps, for this, install Thunderbird converter and follow these steps:
- Run the tool and click on the Add File button on the starting screen.
- Now, choose Thunderbird and select Default Profile Configured option before continuing.
- Select the profile that contains the Inbox file you want to open in Outlook.
- The software will provide a preview of the emails.
- In the next window, select the Inbox folder from the left and choose PST on the right.
- Browse the saving location and hit the Export button to convert the inbox file to PST.
- Finally, use the native Import/Export option of MS Outlook to import the PST file.
That’s it. Thunderbird inbox file is in Outlook and users can read them easily.
Why use a third party Thunderbird converter?
There are many reasons to choose a professional tool, some of which are listed below:
- Intuitive graphical user interface
- No risk of losing data
- Unlimited email migration
- Migrate selected emails or all according to your needs
- Multiple storage options, including PST, EML, MSG, DBX, HTML, etc.
- Real-time preview of email data obtained from MBOX files
As you can see, the tool has many powerful features which can make your task of reading Thunderbird inbox file in Outlook not only convenient but also fast. You can also use the free trial version which allows you to save 25 items in each folder to a PST file.
This software works for all the latest Outlook versions including Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 &2003. It can also convert Thunderbird to EML, PDF, MSG, NSF, HTML.